In an “historic night” in Lisbon, the World Travel Awards came through for Portugal. Best touristic destination, best city-break, best island destination… the accolades just went on and on.
In all, this tiny country on the edge of Europe got 17 coveted feathers in its cap, and is basking in the glory of a two-year run as “best holiday destination” on the globe.
To add to all the ceremonial razzmatazz, these latest awards were announced as Lisbon hosted WTA’s ‘grande finale’ of 2018.
Portugal went into this latest contest, known in the trade as the ‘Oscars of Tourism’, with 55 nominations.
The 17 ‘top prizes’ scooped were 10 more than the country took this time last year.
WTA’s founder Graham Cooke described Saturday’s star-studded event at Pátio da Galé as “an incredible evening in the magnificent city of Lisbon. We have had the privilege of recognising the world’s leading hotels, destinations, airlines and travel providers…”
For a full list of Portugal’s awards, see below.
The Algarve clinched the World’s Leading Luxury Leisure Resort (Conrad Algarve), as well as the World’s Leading Fine Dining Hotel Restaurant (Vila Joya, Albufeira), while TAP received three awards, and Turismo de Portugal was voted World’s Leading Tourist Board.
The evening marked the climax of the WTA 25th anniversary Grand Tour 2018 – described as “an annual search for the finest travel and tourism organisations in the world, with the winners of WTA’s six regional ceremonies going head-to-head for the coveted World titles”.
Voting in this contest results from a year-long ‘communications campaign’ which according to the blurb “encourages global participation”.
Votes come from “qualified executives working within travel and tourism, and the consumer travel buyer”.
A ‘standard vote’ (from consumers) carries a weight of one, while votes cast by “verified travel professionals carry a weighting of two”.
Portugal’s awards in full were:
• World’s Leading City Destination 2018 – Lisbon
• World’s Leading City Break Destination 2018 – Lisbon
• World’s Leading Island Destination 2018 – Madeira
• World’s Leading Tourist Board 2018 – Turismo de Portugal
• World’s Leading Tourism Authority Website 2018 – visitportugal.com
• World’s Leading Airline to South America 2018 TAP Air Portugal
• World’s Leading Airline to Africa 2018 TAP Air Portugal
• World’s Leading Inflight Magazine 2018 – Up Magazine (TAP Air Portugal)
• World’s Leading Conservation Company 2018 – Parques de Sintra – Monte da Lua
• World’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction 2018 – Passadiços do Paiva (Arouca UNESCO Global Geopark)
• World’s Leading City Hotel 2018 – Corinthia Hotel, Lisbon
• World’s Leading Classic Hotel 2018 – Olissippo Lapa Palace Hotel, Lisbon
• World’s Leading Design Hotel 2018 – The Vine Hotel, Funchal (Madeira)
• World’s Leading Luxury Leisure Resort 2018 – Conrad Algarve
• World’s Leading Fine Dining Hotel Restaurant 2018 – Vila Joya Hotel Restaurant@Vila Joya
• World’s Leading Boutique Hotel Operator 2018 – Amazing Evolution Management
Posted by PORTUGALPRESS on December 03, 2018