The Algarve has been named the “big winner” of the 2017 Publituris Travel Awards, receiving five tourism ‘Oscars’ including ‘Best Tourism Board’ for the second year in a row. The prize-giving ceremony took place on September 21 at the Bom Sucesso Resort in Óbidos.
Vila Vita Parc in Porches won ‘Best Hotel Resort’, Martinhal Sagres was considered ‘Best Beach Hotel’ and Quarteira’s Dom José Beach Hotel was named ‘Best Three Star Hotel’, while Onyria Palmares in Lagos was awarded the title of ‘Best Golf Course’.
A proud and emotional Desidério Silva, the region’s tourism boss, accepted the award for ‘Best Tourism Region’ and thanked “everyone who made this possible, including all of the sector’s public and private entities”.
He also congratulated the other regional winners, which he described as “examples of the excellence of the region’s tourism sector”.
“This is also an opportunity to raise awareness among the professionals of the sector and let the government know about the importance of the regional tourism boards in Portugal, which work with all entities in a bid to bolster touristic activity and the sustainable development of regions,” he added.
The full list of winners:
• Best Airline: TAP
• Best Golf Course: Onyria Palmares, Lagos
• Best Low-Cost Airline: easyJet
• Best Rent-a-Car: Avis Budget
• Best Tourism Board: Algarve
• Best Tour Operator: Soltrópico
• Best Travel Agency Network: Viagens Abreu
• Best Five-Star Hotel: Altis Belém Hotel & Spa
• Best Four-Star Hotel: Turim Marquês
• Best Three-Star Hotel: Dom José Beach Hotel, Quarteira
• Best Beach Hotel: Martinhal Sagres
• Best Boutique Hotel: Areias do Seixo Charm Hotel & Residences
• Best City Hotel: Intercontinental Porto – Palácio das Cardosas
• Best MICE Hotel: EPIC SANA Lisbon
• Best Hostel: Hub New Lisbon Hostel
• Best Hotel Chain: Vila Galé
• Best Hotel Resort: Vila Vita Parc
• Best International Tourism Delegation: Macau
• Education Institution Prize: Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão do Instituto Politécnico de Viana do Castelo
• Belmiro Santos Career Award: Mário Pereira Gonçalves, president of hotelier and restaurateur association AHRESP
Posted by PORTUGALPRESS on September 25, 2017